2020 Match Cap & Bonuses
In this article
Individual donor match cap ($5,000)
The individual donor cap is the maximum amount that will be matched of each individual donor that contributes to your year-end campaign.
The individual donor match cap for NewsMatch 2020 is $5,000. NewsMatch will match up to $5,000 made by an individual donor.
Last year, the individual donor match cap was only $1,000. NewsMatch funders and partners decided to increase this value to accommodate major donor strategies within news organizations, especially those in the early phases of developing an individual giving program.
Campaign match cap ($11,500)
The campaign match cap is the maximum amount that a news organization will receive from NewsMatch. Match caps are calculated based on the size of the NewsMatch fund and the number of participating organizations.
The campaign match cap for NewsMatch 2020 is $11,500. NewsMatch will match up to $11,500 raised by a single organization.
This year, more than 260 newsrooms are participating in NewsMatch — a 35% increase compared to last year. This year’s match cap was calculated to accommodate this significant growth in the number of participants.
Increasing Your Match Cap
This year’s initial campaign match cap of $11,500 is less than in previous years. Here are some of the things we are doing to help organizations strengthen their NewsMatch campaign’s impact:
- Added support and resources to organizations that are actively pursuing additional funders to increase the campaign match cap for their organization (Take a look)
- Additional training and toolkit resources to help you shift your fundraising strategy once the campaign match cap is reached
- Available bonus and partner funds available for select organizations
- NewsMatch will continue to fundraise through December 31 to increase the funding pool
NewsMatch bonuses are designed to create new opportunities to engage individual donors and support organizations in the early stages of developing an individual giving program.
New Member Bonus
New recurring monthly donations are eligible to be matched at their 12-month value up to $5,000.
- A $10 monthly gift started in November will yield a match of $120 ($10 × 12 months).
- A new recurring monthly donor is considered someone who is making a monthly gift to your organization for the very first time.
- A monthly gift of $500 (though would total $6,000 in 12 months) would only yield a match of $5,000 — the individual donation match cap.
- You may already have existing recurring monthly donors who have been giving months before November 1. In these cases, we will only match their gifts made within the campaign period — most likely, their monthly donations made in November and December.
- If an existing member decides to increase their monthly donation, we will match their increase at the 12-month value up to $5,000.
- For example, an existing member who decides to increase their gift from $50 to $75 a month would produce a $25 increase in their monthly contribution. NewsMatch would match the base value of $50 of their donations made in November and December and an additional $300 ($25 x 12 months) of their increased amount.
- The new member bonus will be calculated by the values reported on your Match Cover Sheet. For additional questions, please contact Sheryl Saturnino at The Miami Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Startup Boost Bonus
Startup news organizations whose publications were founded in 2018, 2019, or 2020 are eligible to receive a bonus for securing at least 100 first-time donors between Nov. 1 to Dec. 31, 2020.
This bonus amount will be determined after the NewsMatch campaign and is only awarded if excess match funds are available.
- A new donor is considered someone who is making a gift to your organization for the very first time.
- Organizations launched within the last three years with publications founded before 2018 would not qualify for this bonus. Publications would also have to be founded in 2018, 2019, or 2020.
- Organizations that have recently converted to a nonprofit organization with publications founded before 2018 would not qualify for this bonus. Publications would also have to be founded in 2018, 2019, or 2020.
- The year in which your fiscal sponsor is founded will not be considered in this situation. If you have a fiscal sponsor, we will reference the year in which your publication was founded.